Sunday, July 01, 2007

Two Weeks Late

I realize that there are a lot of people out there who have become regular readers of this blog, and I must sincerely apologize for almost completely missing the last two weeks. Life has been rather hectic as I got extremely involved in performing my civic duty of protesting.
However, many things in the political arena seem to have resolved (well, in a manner of speaking) themselves during my hiatus, and I am hopeful that in many of the cases, my voice was one of those screaming the loudest that helped drive the outcome of some of these political boondoggles.

First and foremost, (though I was not involved in this one, much to my chagrin), the Morrison v. Kline debate heated up once again as charges of ethics violations came spewing out of the pro-choice camp when Morrison announced that he was dropping his investigation of Planned Parenthood and additionally announced that he found no basis for 15 of the 30 counts that Kline had filed against Tiller prior to Kline stepping down from the office of Attorney General.

However, the pro-life forces proclaimed their vindication when Morrison went on to file 19 misdemeanor charges against Tiller and his late-term abortion practice. Fifteen charges were the remnants from Kline’s original charges, and an additional four charges added in.

How will this play out? Personally, I hope that Morrison places the most vocal anti-abortion prosecutor to fight this battle in court. Maybe even bring back Kline to win/lose this battle in open court (like THAT will ever happen). By selecting a person to prosecute who REALLY wants to put Tiller behind bars and shutting down his abortion clinic, there will be no chance later of pro-life groups making political claims that the case was ineffectually argued by the AG.

Second, the US Senate FINALLY gave up trying to push through a bad immigration reform bill. The open border groups didn’t like it, because it was too harsh, the law and order groups didn’t like it because it granted de facto amnesty.

Fortunately, we the people actually had our voices heard by our Senators (thank you Senator Roberts and Senator Brownback), and the vote last Thursday was not even close to permitting this bill to continue. I know that I myself sent literally hundreds of e-mails and faxes to various senators regarding this bill, and I am hopeful that my own story regarding immigration was able to resonate among the millions of other messages that echoed through the halls of the US Senate.

On yet another front, the last I heard, the KC Royals had won 5 (yes, I did say they WON FIVE) baseball games in a row. Though they aren’t even close to getting up above .500 for the season, they are now above .400, and are doing everything they can to catch up with my preseason estimate that they would be flirting with .500 this season.

Only 13.5 games out of first, and nearly halfway through the season. Did even the optimists out there truly believe that they could do it? Now if I could only name more than about five players on the team right now I would be truly happy.

Anyways, I am now settling in to my new midnight to eight shift, and school seems to be coming along just fine. So hopefully, I won’t be deserting you for two weeks in the future.

No comments: