Saturday, May 26, 2007

Liberal, moderate or conservative? What's in a name?

I met a older gentlemen this evening, and I was feeling rather spry, so I asked him if he considered himself a conservative, a moderate or a liberal. After a few seconds of thought, he told me that he considered himself a moderate with leanings towards being liberal. I pondered for a moment, and asked him if it would be all right to compare our views with each other, just to see whether he was a liberal, or whether I was a conservative.
As I thought, it ended up in a tie. Out of about eight different topics, we actually agreed on every single point except one. We may have held our opinions for different reasons, however, the result was the same.
For example, on the subject of abortion, he thought first term abortions should be legal, but late term abortions no. He based his opinion on the fact that if you couldn’t afford the child, you shouldn’t have it. I believe that first term abortions should not be banned, but my reasoning being that it is a decision based upon free will, and should be between a woman, the father of the baby, her doctor, and her priest. I still consider all abortion murder, but I also realize that many women, regardless of the consequences, will have the abortion regardless of whether it is a sin or legal.
By the end of the conversation, I realized that by our modern definitions, we could both probably be considered moderate (though I am more loud-mouthed about it), with him having a lean to the left, while I have a definite lean to the right.
Who’d a thunk it?

No comments: