Monday, May 28, 2007

What pictures would I have taken?

In my travels around the world, what pictures would I have taken, if I had taken pictures?

It's extremely hard to think of what I would have wanted a memory of, but I'm going to take a stab at it:

- I would have taken my own personal picture of the Twin Towers from the park at the Port Authority.
- I would have taken pictures of all those I knew, but see no more.
- I would have taken pictures of the old oak tree that stood outside the house I loved the most growing up.
- I would have taken pictures of the little boys and girls in Bolivia hopping on the hoods of cars slowing at a stop light, to wash their windshields in the hope of a nickle.
- I would have taken pictures of the smiles and elation on the faces of those same boys and girls as I bought them a "happy meal" at the local hamburger place.
- I would have taken pictures of them eating the fries, drinking the soda, then wrapping up the hamburger to take home for the others in their family to eat.
- I would have taken pictures of the women with babies strapped on their back digging through the thrown out and rotting fruits and vegetables at the local market.
- I would have taken pictures of the people on strike because they couldn't afford the fare hike in the local bus from 18 cents to 21 cents.
- I would have taken pictures of the four poles and a canvas top that the family just outside our neighborhood lived in.
- I would have taken pictures of that same family three years later, with two rooms built, and a roof, built by themselves through tons of sweat and hard work.
- I would have taken pictures of the joy I saw on the faces of the Chinese people in Shanghai as they got to actually meet Americans in uniform and be friends.

But the one picture I never could have got, was a picture of the beauty of life as a person free to choose my own destiny.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you have certainly managed to paint a very clear portrait of the many; how shall I say, thought provoking images you've had sight of along life's journey. It is quite apparent that you have been touched on the inside due to the nature of your eye's experiences. With pen, you detailed them with a quiet passion.

I am a bit perplexed as to why you would have a need to burn these images, had they been captured through a lenses rather than with the windows to your soul...

~very well written~

fangers said...

I remember them very well, I simply wish I had pictures to show others of how fortunate we are to have what we have.

Those who have never seen the way the majority of people on our planet live, seem to lose their ability to give thanks for what we have.

I am sure that Jayne could give some even more poignant thoughts (and she has as well).

Head Cookie said...

Hey there Alan so glad you wrote what you would have burned. Very neat experiences you have seen and had throughout your life. I would have loved to have seen the look on those kids faces when you brought them happy meals as well. Nothing like the laugh or smile of a child to make your day complete. Thanks for sharing your experiences and tours of places you have been.

Jayne :) said...

Very thought provoking Alan and while the photos would be great to have, you can never replace the pictures you hold in your head. They will stay with you forever :)

morgetron said...

I love this idea.