Thursday, February 15, 2007

The biggest paycheck!

Every year, I file my tax return as soon as I possibly can. Then I await anxiously for the two weeks it takes for my tax refund to get deposited into my bank account. It is always great to know that we have the best tax system in the world.

Where else in the world could I pay absolutely nothing for my federal taxes, then get a tax “refund” that is the equivalent of 18% of my family's ANNUAL pay.
Thank you to everyone who has to actually pay federal taxes to help me by graciously providing me two months and six days worth of extra salary.

What? You didn't know that I got so much free money from our government? You didn't realize that the working poor got so much back from their Earned Income Credits? Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot that this was a open secret...

Anyways, I used to pay income tax, a lot of it. The way I figure it, I still have to get my EIC for another eight years before I “earn” back the money I deposited in the Federal Treasury in the best of my working years.

Of course, I forgot to mention the 25% of my family's income that comes through my son's social security disability, so by the time it's all said and done, I really get about 43% of my income from the government.

Of course, it's a good thing that we make as much as we do, otherwise, I could probably push that 43% all the way up to 70% or even 80% by using subsidized housing, food stamps, LIEAP, etc....

But I think that for now, I'll just keep working towards pulling myself out of “poverty”, though I will sorely miss those government paychecks that I get about this time every year.

No comments: