Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I am so confused!

President Bush confuses me! I am sure that most of you say the same (or worse) about him, but generally, I have been able to accept and support most of his policies.

Like many (and unlike just as many) I supported his veto of the stem cell funding bill. I agreed because I don't believe embryonic stem cell research should be government funded. Like the majority at the time, I supported his invasion of Iraq (not for the reasons he gave, but because it was the right thing), and I continue to support his policies in Iraq in the hope that we can pull a victory out of the pundits defeat.

The President's tax cuts have worked, keeping our economy strong and growing despite entering office with the country entering a recession, then dealing with the violent economic shock we suffered on 9/11.

However, I strongly disagree on President Bush's lack of policies to control illegal immigration, his “No Child Left Behind” policy, and his failure to practice budgetary restraint.

In a recent press release, it was announced that the President's economic policies have created 2.7 million jobs. However, according to other surveys and studies, it seems that these jobs that have been created have gone mostly to our fast-growing community of illegal immigrants.

President Bush has talked about controlling the border in Iraq against illegal entry. Meanwhile, we have hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants pouring across our Southern border each year.

President Bush has been proud of the elections held in Iraq in which all the different factions voted. I am sure he is just as proud of our own elections in which the deciding votes may have been cast by illegal immigrants casting illegal votes.

Confusing? Yes! Astounding? Yes! And hopefully, in 2008, we can select a new President who can bring us a little bit of clarity whether we agree with his/her policies or not.

No comments: