Saturday, February 03, 2007

How to Elect a City Council

Every two years, we hold elections to decide who will be on the Topeka City Council. In our cities' history, we have made some very good choices, and some very bad choices. As election day nears, and as many candidates try to win your vote, how can you tell who is a good candidate and who is a bad candidate?
I have a few rules that help me decide how to cast my vote. Following these rules, unfortunately, I lose the right to complain about my council member after the election (unless my candidate loses of course).

Rule one, “Would I invite this candidate to come over to my house for dinner?” If I am not willing for this person to share a meal with my family, than why should they represent my vote?

The second rule, “Would I like for this person to teach my child?” Once again, if a candidate is not capable of teaching my child, whether it be reading, writing and arithmetic, or teaching my children moral and/or ethical values, than why should they represent my vote?

A third rule, “Would I work with this candidate?” If he/she were my boss, my co-worker, or my employee, would I be looking for a new job? Or, in the latter case, helping him/her look for a new job? If I can't stand working with someone, than why should they represent my vote?

Coming up soon, more rules to selecting your candidate.

No comments: